On July 9th
2015, His Majesty King Hamad bin Isa Al-Khalifa, the King of Kingdom of Bahrain, issued (Royal Decree No. 31, 2015)
on the organization and establishment of the Bahrain’s National Archives under the umbrella of the Isa Cultural Centre, aims to collect, preserve. and archiving public documents and records in accordance with scientific principles and make them available to researchers and others, who might benefit from them.
Vision of the National Archives
The National Archives representing the nation's vigilance confirmed official memory aims to remain a symbol over time for the progress of Bahrain and its people.
Mission of the National Archives
Representing the repository of heritage, memory, and legacy of Bahrain culture, by providing a repository for archival collections and facilitating compliance with their references, use the most appropriate management decisions based on optimal guidance, and provide a community service to the Kingdom of Bahrain.
Role of National Archives
Among the responsibilities of the Bahrain National Archives as specified in the Royal Decree (31) 2015, and the General Legislations of the National Archives are the followings:
1. Collection and preservation official governmental public documents/ records and archives, in for the purpose archival repositories.
2. Cataloging and indexing to prepare disciplined adequate finding aids and bibliographies for those archival holdings, and preparation of data and guidance thereon, as well as organization of the archival holdings circulation.
3. Protect public documents from damage, repair damage suffered, and use the necessary procedures to maintain and secure those documents.
4. Provide data and information on public documents, and provide research areas for those who wish to benefit from the information acquired by the archive.
5. Providing the necessary advice to government agencies regarding the rules for organizing the public documents they have.
6. Organizing seminars, conferences, training programs and workshops related to the objectives of the National Archives, or participating in any of them, in cooperation and coordination with the concerned authorities.
7. Coordinates as (category (A) institutional member) with the International Congress on Archivers (ICA), and the Arab Regional Branch of the International Congress on Archivers (ARABICA), and regularly participates in regional and international professional conferences and events.
8. Authorization to acknowledge permissions for destruction of unapproved records collections for permanent preservation in accordance with approved plans.
9. Perform other tasks as assigned by the Board of Trustees and the Executive Director of the Isa Cultural Centre.